05 December 2007

I paid 9bucks for that meagre 5mins

Finally caught a movie in a cinema after whoknowsafterhowmany months. Aside from the very pertinent fact that movie ticket prices are exorbitant 'cept for concession days, I have no like-minded movie kakis to go catch a movie with me. Well, now that my brother is here, that kinda all changed. But yes, another point to note in my disturbingly sad aussie lifestyle (parents: please note the sarcasm here). That, although, is a story for another time. So, my brother and I went to catch BEOWULF last night. My 9 bucks was ALL spent on that 5-odd MEAGRE minutes of seeing Angelina Jolie emerging from the cavern waters. I was obviously ill-informed, not realising that (I AM) BEOWULF was a total CGI, animated movie until 5 minutes after the show had begun screening. Seriously, I blame on that really good 30 second commercial aired on tv advertising for the movie. Yes, you've guessed it, it is that part, the first 30 seconds of Angelina Jolie emerging from the water.

For those who have yet to catch (I AM) BEOWULF, which is highly unlikely for you, my Singaporean friends, seeing how shows are screened so much later over here, do not ever waste your movie ticket money on (I AM) BEOWULF. I should have so caught Gabriel instead. Seems like a MUCH better movie. So yes, there you go, the wonders and suckers (i.e. me) of advertising.
- if you don't get the (I AM) part, that means you have not watched it, which translates to, good on you.

I don't know if it can be considered with the coming line-up of movies being screened this season would be considered good, but there are a number which I am actually looking forward to. 1. Hitmen. 2. I Am Legend. 3. American Gangster. I Am Legend really does seem promising, seeing how they have Will Smith in it. I hope they don't cheat me like they did with Angelina Jolie. After two paragraphs, and as you can tell I'm not over it. Also, Denzel Washington is in American Gangster. Two really great actors, so the movie really shouldn't be a farce right?

Seeing the trailer for American Gangster, which I somehow seem to have seen way back, got me thinking then. It made me wonder which group(s) of gangs were truly the scariest or notorious in the world. We have all heard of the Italian mafia, the Chinese/HK triads, the Japanese Yukuzas, the Russian mob. Somehow, American don't seem to quite fall into the 'known' category or seem to quite cut it. I mean, yeah, American Gangster is about a black (I know somehow using color is totally discriminating, but I really don't know the true origin of the lead character, so somehow color seems like the better way to go, so, don't hate on me) guy succeeding in this extremely lucrative and tax-free organisation, albeit illegal. But, they don't really come across as scary. Even in shows, mobsters are mostly portrayed Asian or European anyway. Reflection on reality or a creation of a false reality by the American media (I can start on the whole cultural imperialisation thing, which I rather not) instead? Seeing how we see so many killings through American and international news these days, who's to say some of them aren't mob hits?

Seeing how these people/organisation are usually distributors of illegal drugs or items, which I feel are actually doing it cos' it is illegal therefore making it un-taxable, increasing total profit, might not really be so into it if it were made legal and taxable. Really, make it legal, tax them for it, who knows, distribution might just decrease dramatically instead. I am not saying that we should all go take drugs, but so many similar life-threatening items are already on sale, really, does drugs make that great a difference? Alcohol, cigarettes, prescriptive drugs, guns, weapons. Don't they all do the same thing? It's just a matter of which method kills faster, isn't it?

Read an article in GQ recently about a junkie telling an alcoholic that he should cut back on his drinking cos' it'll kill him. The alcoholic spots the irony. Yes, the irony of it all. Drinking leads to drunk driving, violence, and even idiosyncrasy in some. It does somehow kill faster than drugs, ok, maybe not when it comes to overdose. I still never quite understood the rationale of why alcohol is legal and drugs aren't. Then again, seeing how I still abide to the created idea of "drugs bad, alcohol not as bad" philosophy, I am simply, a follower.

Well, enough thoughts for an entry for now. Seeing how of late, I still have more. Yes, I actually can think (clap your hands people). It's weird how I actually do think more when I have no studying to do. Why can't I ever get to write essays like these, at least I know the flow will be there.

It's been a while since I last blogged anyway, I wonder if I still have any readers left (ok, I know I have z at least. ha). It would be appreciated if you, my reader would leave a comment if you read this entry. It would be nice to know who actually reads them. By the way, I sincerely apologise for my sad sad background/design. I am seriously lacking the programs needed on my computer, to do it up the way I envisioned it.

z: This is hilarious, I actually was writing this entry when I saw your email. Guess we still do think alike somehow. Hahahah. I think we really have to do email now. Msn/Skype seems way too hard. Miss ya lots, my brekkie *cough cough, poached pot* kaki. And yes, stay sane. Will email you back in a bit. Heh.

3 comments:

  1. hey i still read this blog too
    (and i totally agree that beowulf is a waste of time and braincells.)

    ReplyDelete